Imaging services have considerably changed in the last few years, along with the role of the radiographer. Has our education and subsequent career structure caught up? This month’s journal article examines the views of radiology managers from a range of medical imaging providers across the UK.
Sloane C, Miller P K. Informing radiography curriculum development:The views of UK radiology service managers concerning the “fitness of purpose” of recent diagnostic radiography graduates. Radiography. Vol 23, Supp 1; S16-S22
Our March blog “The same…..but different” by Penny Owens is available here.
T1: Is the current pre-registration diagnostic imaging curriculum content/ structure fit for purpose?
T2: Does the current generation of school leavers have the skills needed to succeed at higher education ?
T3: Do radiography career pathways need to be reconsidered?
T4: Looking wider, do we need to diversify the role of the radiographer?
Times: Vancouver 1pm (21st)/Calgary 2pm/Toronto 4pm/UK 8pm/Sydney 7am (22nd)/Wellington 9am
This month’s chat is being used by Janice St John-Matthews
as a scoping exercise as part of her Professional Doctorate. More details here
Missed the chat? Symplur transcript is here.
• Beardsmore, C. (2017). Apprenticeships: Your questions answered. Synergy News. Retrieved from https://www.sor.org/news/apprenticeships-your-questions-answered
• Liang, W. T., Reed, W., & Agudera, M. (2010). Preparedness for Clinical Practice – Perceptions of Newly Qualified Radiographers. Radiographer: The Official Journal of the Australian Institute of Radiography, 57(3), 22.
• Naylor, S., Ferris, C., & Burton, M. (2016). Exploring the transition from student to practitioner in diagnostic radiography. Radiography, 22(2), 131–136. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radi.2015.09.006
• Nightingale, J. (2016). Radiography education funding – Crisis or opportunity? Radiography, 22(2), 105–106. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radi.2016.03.003
• Westbrook, C. (2017). Opening the debate on MRI practitioner education – Is there a need for change? Radiography, 0 (0). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radi.2016.12.011
• St. John-Matthews, J. (2015) Inter-Professional Learning – Closer than You Think. Available at: https://medradresearch.wordpress.com/2016/04/01/inter-professional-learning-closer-than-you-think-janice-st-john-matthews/
• Strudwick, R. M., & Taylor, K. (2017). An investigation into breast imaging as part of the undergraduate (UG) education of diagnostic radiography students in the UK. Radiography. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radi.2016.12.007
• Williams, P. & Berry, J. (1999). What is competence? A new model for diagnostic radiographers: Part 1. Radiography, 5(4), 221–235. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1078-8174(99)90055-X